Sunday, February 10, 2013

90's Movies

The past few days I came down with a stomach bug, leaving me bed-ridden for two days. In between naps, I flipped the T.V. on to occupy my mind. I happened upon the movie Clueless first. The fashion, the lingo, and the music in that movie are 100 percent 90s- it could be a documentary. Later, during my battle with the bug, I came across a few episodes of Full House. What a show. Total 90's classic sitcom. You have Bob Saget, (also the host of America's Funniest Home Videos during my childhood) as the dad, Uncle Jessie (Jason Stamos), (swoon), and of course the kids- DJ, Steph, and Michelle (Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen). Just an all- American family going through life's joys and disappointments together. The hairstyles- full volume, the outfits- overalls for boys and girls. It really is an entertaining show with great characters. The next 90's flashback I had was during my recovery. I came across the last fifteen minutes of the movie She's All That. It had everything- 90's prom magic, Freddie Prince Jr., and Usher as D.J. The choreographed line dance was actually really creative and original. Of course Freddie Prince Jr. saved the day in the end and got the artsy, down- to- earth, natural beauty for his girl. Happy endings for all.

My memories of the 90's are from a ten and under point of view. The teenage trends and culture would trickle down to us kids from our older- siblings and we would try our best to pull- off the hairstyles and fashions. Needless to say, they didn't always fit. The only thing more awkward then a 90's teen trying to pull off white frosty lipstick and butterfly clips, is a 90's 10 year old trying trying to pull it off. Looking like a Spice Girl when you are pre- braces and your mom still does your hair is a big challenge. It's funny how at that age you look up to these beautiful teenage stars and celebrities and wait for the day when you might look like them, but when that time comes, the teenage trends have rapidly turned into something totally different, but equally embarrassing as you look back at your high school pictures now.

I enjoy having my naive perspective of the 90's as a pre-teen wannabe. Being so young but still aware of "what was happenin'" - or so I thought. Watching those shows and movies make me laugh but they still have some meaning. They are not just corny and out-dated. I think they make people smile and remember. At least they made me.

Love always,
90's child- Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment