Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Another Beautiful Celebration

Midnight strikes and I'm struggling to finish my poem. I get texts from my mom, telling me she's ready when I am. Racing against the clock, I finally finish and roll up the poem and place it inside a bottle decorated with a picture of the birthday girl and myself.

Into the kitchen I run, and begin icing three banana rum cupcakes with a honey cinnamon concoction. My mom comes in with bags of gifts, laughing at her struggle to be quiet hence the rustle and bustle of the paper bags. I top the selected cupcake with a little truck candle.

As I light it, both of us jump as we hear footsteps approaching down the hall. My mom laughs and rushes down, pushing the girl following the shadow back into her room, and with a chuckle I hear her say: "oh you look adorable--stay here for a while!"

Mom comes rushing back in, telling me to hurry up. Finally everything Is ready. My mom and I slowly make our way towards the birthday girl's room, and when we reach her bedroom door, my mom slips a hand in and turns off the lights. We open the door and process in with the candle-lit cupcakes, bags and gifts, singing in a whisper a jolly "happy birthday, Alpacino!" and there she stands, totally surprised and head full of rollers, in little cream colored lacy pajamas.

What an adorable sight it was! To see my beloved sister sitting there, eyes wide, mouth open with excitement, opening all her gifts and admiring her birthday loot. We sat on the floor and ate cupcakes and drank tea. We laughed and got emotional thinkin of how wonderful this life is. It was a wonderful way to start off Cassie's birthday, and there's still so much more celebration to take place!! We have only just begun!!


Love,
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment