Monday, July 2, 2012

Another Day, Another Adventure

I woke up Saturday morning, with a sad feeling, knowing I was leaving the beach in a couple hours. Everyone was taking part in cleaning up, eating left-overs, and packing up the car (good distractions), but in the still moments, I felt my eyes well up looking out to the ocean. It was such a good vacation- so many truly happy and relaxing moments with people I love, and lots of meaningful talks. That morning I could not help but ache a little, knowing it was coming to an end. Driving out of Sea Isle, I was trying to pull myself together, when I heard talk of an extension.... "Maybe we will check out Cape May for the day, get a little ice cream, shop around for a bit." I was taken at the mention of ice cream and my focus turned immediately to another great day of fun and exploration. I had never been to Cape May, but I had heard of its Victorian charm and patriotic flare. I admired the small city and it's historic, eye-catching houses. My sister and I took off to poke around in girly stores and embrace the old-fashioned feeling by sipping on cream sodas in the warm sun. We found a store with adorable, ruffly, summer dresses. Each one was unique, with interesting patterns and flattering cuts, and of course we had to pick out and purchase one to make our own. We pictured ourselves sipping lemonade by a lake on a breezy, warm, summer day in our new printed dresses. After a successful afternoon of an italian lunch, shopping, and creamy gelato, we rolled ourselves into the car and made a plan to stay in a hotel for the night.

We followed up the day by relaxing by the pool and going out to dinner, where we spied on interesting customers and bus boys. Chloe and I were ready to relax and curl up once we got back, with full stomachs, and heavy eyes. We had noticed that there were two beds in our room and jokingly remarked about how weird that will be- sleeping in separate beds, but we got under our own covers and turned the t.v. on to wind down. I left the channel on National Geographic because a U.F.O. show caught my attention, but we were both getting tired and drifting so I decided to turn it off. My nerves were already a little jumpy from the show, when immediately after switching the bedroom t.v. off, the living room t.v. flips on. This successfully freaked us out, considering there were separate remotes for the two t.v.s, so sleeping in separate beds was no longer an option. I hopped into Chloe's bed and snuggled up tight, laughing about the situation and feeling better and at home with my sister within arms reach. We fell asleep making shadow puppets and laughing. Another day, another adventure. 

Today is day one, back at home, and getting back in the swing of things. Making to-do lists and looking ahead to what's coming next. I am still in a little bit of an ocean haze, maybe somewhere in between two somethings. I can't say in between vacation and every-day life because I could never categorize my days with Chloe as every-day life. It's always new and exciting. I was taught that The Big Guy wants life this way, every day being a new day, and an opportunity. It's a challenge to make things new everyday, to make life an adventure. Sometimes you can feel "just along for the ride" and that's not a bad thing, but there should always be effort from yourself to make the best of the day, and to find excitement out of life.  The reason for starting this blog was to record our everyday adventures. I think it is a good practice for pulling the meaning out of life experiences and appreciating the moments and memories that fill each day. Sharing these moments and memories, makes life really special. I would not trade what I have found with Chloe for anything or anyone. The extended vacation day was a gift, and an opportunity to prolong a happy get-away. I am so grateful to be given gifts like this regularly and experiences that I really cherish.

Love,
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment