Monday, July 16, 2012

Celebrations of Life


Two weeks into July, and already the pace is picked up and the celebrations have kick- started.  Having the biggest national holiday commence my favorite month helps set the tone. July 4th -America's Birthday. July 10th- my Dad's birthday. July 15th- my Mom's birthday. July 18th- my birthday. In between birthday celebrations there are day trips, beach vacations, and graduation celebrations. It's a month of cake and candles, pool time and family time. 

July 4th was a very special memory for me and my sister, Chloe. We spent the day baking pies, and having underwater contests in the pool. We had a wonderful soundtrack of Midnight in Paris playing the whole day. This particular soundtrack is one that has the ability to transport the listener back in time and bring forth silly, simple, and lovely feelings. It also can be played over and over and not become tiresome or repetitive. It was a truly joyful day. As the sun was setting, the clouds were forming all kinds of shapes, lit from within with shades of pink and orange. The country had been in a dry-spell and many fires had caused damage over the previous days, but a storm was brewing past our orange clouds. We had noticed far-off lightening, but the preparation and set-up for the fireworks show was already underway. Just as Chloe and I had picked our viewing spots, and the guys gave us the word that they were ready, the storm clouds began rolling in faster. We heard the rain first and then felt it, like water balloons bursting on us. As we yelled to hurry and set the fire works off- our soundtrack began with the up-beat and bouncy anthem of "The Can-Can" followed by "The 18th Overture". As we were scurrying and dodging water balloons the first few booms went off. Our fireworks were bursting bright through the heavy rains as we danced and laughed and cheered. No risk of forest fires here. We were protected and our show was more lively and the joyfulness continued. 

This bang was the perfect way to start our celebratory month. My Dad's birthday was next. Complete with a home-cooked meal, dancing and singing, and story telling. We took a family portrait with my sister's professional camera and laughed as another soundtrack of Sherlock Holmes, Game of Shadows, was playing. Trying not to burst when my Mom is shouting out strange alternatives for "cheese" at the camera like, Ciao Bellaaaa! My Dad, seated in the middle, with a charming top-hat and authentic smile- surrounded by his girls and his gentlemanly son. It was a special moment to capture. More life. We wanted our Dad to feel how much we loved him and how much he means to his children, and I believe the point got across. 

This past weekend, we celebrated my Mom's birthday. She is always giving and always making celebrations so special. Her love and guidance is irreplaceable and as her daughter, I feel she should be celebrated daily. She has given so much life to our family, not just by birthing eight healthy children but by showing us girls a strong and vibrant example of a happy woman. 

And now... I anticipate my birthday. It will be a truly happy celebration for me this year because I have been given so many presents already- throughout the entire year. I am so thankful, and so ready to celebrate. The Big Guy is bringing out all the goodness and filling all these moments with Himself. That is what makes these parties celebrations of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment