Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Rebels

Deep down in all of us there is this little urge to do something considerably "rebellious". Whatever it may be, [say, bungee jumping, getting a tattoo, or maybe changing your hair color to something unexpected,] everyone wishes to get a small taste of what it's like to do something out of the ordinary. Today has been that sort of day for Cassie and I. Waking up at 9, neither of us foresaw the adventures the day would unfold. We started it off typically regular; sipping coffee outside with mom, discussing dreams, and munching on prune bread and apples. It wasn't until around 11 or so that we decided to do something productive. We originally planned on cruising up to Barnes & Noble for some cafe sandwiches and coffee action, but evidently God had other things in store. Cruising down highway 315, we passed by a McDonalds; french fries must have just been made since the air was filled with the irresistible aroma of crispy, salty goodness. Our mouths began to salivate as we looked at one another and considered stopping for lunch at McD's instead of our original plan. Before I got a chance to loop around, I remembered that just down the road a bit farther stood another McDonalds.
Hungry and just a tad bit over excited, we pulled up into the drive through and placed our order:
One Big Mac meal with a coke, and one Quarter Pounder with cheese meal and a coke.

Eager to pull around to get our goods, I didn't catch sight of the first window occupied by the awaiting cashier, and simply coasted right past it. What got our attention was the sudden and loud exclamation of "HEY!" coming from the cashier lady. We burst into laughter after we realized what we did, and after we got our breath I quickly pulled the stick into reverse and coasted backward, still laughing. I couldn't tell if the cashier lady was laughing, too, or if she was simply trying to smile to hide her annoyance. We paid and continued on to the second window where we were handed our bag of treasures. We pulled into the parking lot and devoured our meals. In about 30 minutes time, we were reclined in our seats, windows down, barely able to move after such a dining experience. Shortly after this, Cassie's phone buzzed; it was mom calling, asking where we were and why we didn't say where we were going. I informed her I meant to text her, but wanted to wait until we got to our destination since I promised I'd never "text and drive." We felt crazy for 'not telling anyone where we were', and basically decided to call ourselves rebels for the day. As we finished our cokes, we decided we should probably head back home since Cassie had to leave, unfortunately, sometime in the afternoon. By the time I had made the turn onto the main road to my house, we thought it'd fun to end the afternoon with a nice Iced Americano treat from Starbucks. Realizing I had missed our turn, I thought aloud ways we can pull into some sort of lot to make a legal U-turn. Cassie had informed me that it would in fact be legal to make a U-turn right on the road--as long as there were no cars. Slowing down into the shoulder lane, the two of us waited until there were absolutely no cars in sight before braving the big turn.

This was quite a big ordeal for me since I had never done anything like this. Quickly, I managed to perform a complete U-turn across three lanes, and make the correct turn toward our destination. I expressed my excitement by exclaiming a lot of "OOH! OOH! OOH!'s as I made that turn. Cassie found this humorously amusing and laughed quite hard at my reaction. I told her I felt inexplicably "rebellious" for pulling something like that off. "That felt so illegal!" I said, but she assured me it wasn't. We pulled into the Starbucks' drive through blasting Shakira's She Wolf and placed our order of two venti iced americanos with soy milk, and sugar free vanilla syrup. Again, we pulled into a parking lot and sipped on our treats. We discussed all the rebellious things that happened today, and repeatedly talked about how much we'd miss each other after Cassie departs. At this point in the day, the sun began to become ferociously hot; [at least, in our car] causing us to get a little panic-y and slightly claustrophobic. We rolled all the windows down, turned up the air conditioning, and took the back way home. We made it into the house when we considered to go for a short walk, since we had spent a good three hours in the car. Around the development we strolled, discovering ideal places for picnics and "tribal drum circles". When we arrived home, Cassie gathered her bags and stacked them neatly in her backseat. It was sort of an emotional good-bye, however the guys made it funny by giving quick hugs and then immediately getting absorbed in their own conversations involving tractors and engine work. After numerous hugs, I finally let Cassie get into her car and pull out of the driveway in her adorable little car, SeƱorita Rosa.
I slowly scuffed back in the house, and sitting down on my futon I began imagining future adventures to come. What excitement lies ahead!

xxx
Love always,
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment