Thursday, June 14, 2012

Little Ladies

Chloe and I are in the process of reading and writing for pleasure and school. We want to be able to get everything finished before our beach vacation that is quickly approaching. Chloe has just finished the literary classic, "Pride and Prejudice" and I am working through the last few chapters of "Little Women" (I have been working on the second half of this book since January...). I love the story of "Little Women". There is so much in this novel. So much real, honest human experience. What sets this novel apart is it's innocence. You can't find books anymore like this. The content in this book spans childhood games, teenage angst, and marriage and babies. All the novels I have come across today about a girls journey into womanhood are laced with promiscuity, and dark subject matter. It's disappointing to have that be the honest, human experience of today.

Chloe and I try to live up to the standards of being a true lady. It really is rare to find young girls today who are striving to be ladies. It is almost laughed at and looked down upon as some unattainable and pretentious goal. Quite the opposite my friends. By striving to be a lady you are working towards knowing your true self. Who you are meant to be. You are moving away from the forced, phony, personalities that everyone puts on to fit in and be accepted. When you pretend to be someone you're not you step into shady territory. It becomes an unhappy, and unsatisfied environment no matter how hard you try to force the opposite.

Being a lady is not just about manners and frills. It is really about being brave enough to be different and to be true. Not by rebellion, by discipline.  "Little Women" emphasizes this fact. The importance of morality and staying true to what matters. It was Marmee's teachings that influenced and grounded the girls. It really is so important to have a good Mom. To be influenced by a positive lady. To have the right teachings. Marmee's love and guidance sets the March girls apart from many other characters that they meet on their journey to womanhood.

Reading the classic novels of the past can enrich and add so much to your perspective. It has been a pleasure to read about the March sisters, although hard to get through at times, it has made me feel connected to them, and to my goal of being a good young lady. It is funny how fitting and timely this subject matter is, as Chloe and I are both putting great effort into refining our habits and minding our manners. I see it as reinforcement as well as encouragement, and looking forward I know our journey will be a happy one.

Love,
Cassie

2 comments:

  1. Laurie: I'm quite taken by that one.
    Jo: That's Meg!
    Laurie: Meg.
    Jo: That's my sister. She's completely bald in front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....I just realized I picked a quote (from the movie, not the book) where Jo is NOT being ladylike, haha.

    For the record, this is a sweet post. XO

    ReplyDelete